SC - Period Feasts

Philippa Alderton phlip at bright.net
Wed Oct 14 16:17:18 PDT 1998

Berengeria asks:

        > Secondly, I would observe, as I'm sure others will,
	that once again the assumption is being presented
	that a period dish is antithetical to modern tastes.
	Why is that?  Where does this assumption come from?
	(I'll send a free copy of a fascinating book,
	_Lawyering Process_, to anyone who answers.  :-)
	Until the supply runs out.  :-))<

I would say that much of the thing about period food being inedible by
moderns is based on the recipes in Fabulous Feasts and other books of that
ilk, as well as certain people who have tried to make things more
"authentic" by, for example, putting sand in their bread in order to
simulate what they imagine the texture of stone ground flour. I have a
friend who's a cooking Laurel who swears period food is inedible, and I'm
willing to bet that much of that is due to the ignorance of cooks. Good
food is good food, and even catsup can't disguise bad food.

Phlip
Caer Frig
Barony of the Middle Marches
Middle Kingdom