SC - gingered butternut squash soup (Was: Italian Ren Feast)

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed Oct 14 18:46:41 PDT 1998

At 12:33 PM -0400 10/14/98, Linda Carey wrote:

>I think I'll see how it tastes tonight, then see about changing the
>recipe to maybe substitute pumpkin for the squash, might that work?

What we call "pumpkin" is a variety of C. Pepo, from the New world. I
believe the term "pumpkin" is used in period, perhaps to refer to lageneria
sicereia (which I have probably just misspelled--the white flowered gourd).

Also, even if you were able to substitute period ingredients into the
recipe, that doesn't make it a period recipe--any more than bluejeans
(denim and copper rivets and blue dye are all period) are period clothing.

My suggestion would be to cook the recipe for non SCA purposes, and go to
cookbooks written in period to find period recipes you like.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/