SC - Re: Period Feasts

maddie teller-kook meadhbh at io.com
Thu Oct 15 03:44:35 PDT 1998

I find it amazing how many people say that 'period food is bad' but eat a
variety of ethnic foods in their mundane lives. Including things like indian and
thai (which have a lot of spicing).
Have to agree with Anne-Marie's statement:  There is no bad medieval food, only
bad medieval cooks.  Granted there are a few 'meat and potato' people that won't
stretch their palate, but for most... a little culinary adventure can be loads
of fun!

Meadhbh
Anne-Marie Rousseau wrote:

> Hi all from Anne-Marie
> we are told:
> > << In all my
> >  years of experience, especially with a new feastacrat, people will tend
> not
> >  to try a dish that is strange to them.  People do not like to pay to eat
> >  something that they are not sure of. >>
> >

> I too disagree. In fact, if its boring food, I wont stay for dinner.
> Neither will my friends (several whom have the unfortunate combination of
> being food snobs as well as food weenies :)). I always try and get the menu
> before I shell out for a feast. There's so much good and interesting food
> out there...why waste a meal?
>
> Methinks this is one of those philosophical differences. Some of us cook
> (and eat) for the adventure, for the enjoyment and the joy of it. Some cook
> (and eat) to provide for caloric needs. Me, I think there's so much more
> out there, and enjoy the challenge of combining both goals.
>
> I say again that there is no bad medieval food, only bad medieval cooks.
> The tongue has not evolved in the mere six hundred years or so. Icky stuff
> then was icky stuff now.
>
> You may feel that your local group is not ready for anything other than the
> standard white bread American food, but I feel you may be doing them a
> disservice. I also grant that this may be one of those places where we must
> agree to disagree :)!
>
> --AM, who's done her share of perioide and modern ethnic meals before she
> found out how fun real medieval food can be

- --
ÿWPCT