SC - More Pig Questions

Philippa Alderton phlip at bright.net
Thu Oct 15 12:54:22 PDT 1998

Kat asks:

Query:  We are expecting a full-grown wild boar, whose weight we will not
know till it's time to start cooking.  We are expecting to have to cook it
for approx. 24 hours, give or take.  How much charcoal should I buy?  :-)

Expect to start out with two or three bags of charcoal, and to refresh it
with a bag every hour or so. Hint- stretch your charcoal budget by adding
chunks of an aromatic wood, presoaked for 1/2 hour in water. Suggestions
would be Apple wood (my second favorite-mesquite, my favorite, being OOP)
Oak, Hickory, or any fruit wood. Chunks should be about 2 inches thick- no
more than 3 inches, no less than 1. Length isn't as important, but try to
keep it under a foot for ease in using.

Query:  Will a gallon of marinade be enough, or should we make two?  We are
planning to "baste" the critter during cooking with spray bottles (yes we
are buying new, food-grade bottles).

I'd go for at least 2 gallons, with intentions of making any leftover
marinade into a sauce for serving alongside the meat.

Hope this helps.

Phlip
Caer Frig
Barony of the Middle Marches