SC - (oops) (sorry) (re:tour through time feast)

Russell Gilman-Hunt conchobar at rocketmail.com
Thu Oct 15 14:11:55 PDT 1998

Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 12:43:40 -0500
Bear writes:
>I do object to calling polenta "goo".  A soft polenta would have
>been served as a thick gruel (cream of wheat or malto-meal, anyone).
>A hard polenta would be shaped as a loaf and served as slices (which
>might or mightnot be fried).  From Pliny and Apicius to 1600, the only
>major difference inmaking
>polenta is the addition of corn as one of the grains from which it
was made.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend.  The two times I've cooked Polenta
(corn), it's looked a lot like "goo".  Just remember... "good" is
three-fourths "goo".  :)

What I meant was (two cups of coffee later)... would it be possible
to be able to show the evolution of a dish through time, using some
dish that was recognizable in each era.  Let me use a fictional example.
"Fiskets in the eighth century were served plain, having been slowly
roasted in the coals of a fire.  But in the fifteenth century, fiskets
were roasted in a piece of clay with some additional foods;
kabits, snappits and, since this was after the Crusades, poiquants
(which are from the near East).

Does this make the same point, without offence?  And is there an answer?

conchobar

===
Sergeant Conchobar Mac Muirchertaig