Tasting Dinners (was Re: SC - Re: Period Feasts)

grasse at mscd.edu grasse at mscd.edu
Fri Oct 16 07:45:10 PDT 1998

My thanks!

and indeed the seasons are soooo important.  Growing your own gives an
amazing feel for the amount of work and luck with the weather involved in
bringing in a crop, and multiplying that (if only in your mind) to include
feeding your whole family, household, village without the assistance of
modern conveniences gives you a healthy dose of respect for those who did
it.

If you use your head and plan your feast around seasonal items the cost can
be reduced to quite reasonable.  I recently did a fairly small 3 course &
dessert feast.  The meal included smoked fish, herbed chickens, and roast
beef (along with seasonal veggies and other items), and my final cost per
person was less than $5.00.  and I could have eliminated one of the meats
and substituted a soup or stew and reduced that still further.

Now - where can I find more about St. Martha - if she is watching me I
think we should be better acquainted!  ; - )

Gwen-Cat
Caerthe
- -------------
Original Text
From: <LrdRas at aol.com>, on 10/15/1998 8:31 PM:
In a message dated 10/15/98 4:09:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
grasse at mscd.edu
writes:

<< (in on case I wanted a somewhat obscure veggie (and knew this in spring
for
 a late August feast) so I grew it myself!)

Vivats! M'lady. I see that St. Martha is watching over you. :-) One of the
most difficult things to do is to teach an amateur cook, who is seriously
interested in Medieval food, the extreme importance of getting a feel for
agricultural cycles as experienced by an agrarian society.

Ras