SC - Re: tour in time

Erin Alderson aldgytha at lv.rmci.net
Fri Oct 16 09:07:13 PDT 1998

>><< >I'm helping on a feast in Dreiburgen, Caid that is exactly that.  First
>>course
>> >is Middle Eastern/ North African.  Second course is Norman/French.  Third
>> >course is Scottish.  I'm not planning it, but seems it's done and OK.  Have
>> >fun!

Well this is weird.  My name is Aldgytha.  I just joined the list last
night.  I'm the feast-o-crat for the companion yule celebration.  We are
actually doing a journey.  It begins at Dreiburgens Yule celebration.  They
travel from the Middle East, to France, then to Scotland.  The following
weekend at Starkhafns Yule they travel from England, to Italy, and back to
the Middle East.

>> Do you have any reason to believe the recipes are period? So far as I know
>> there are no period Scottish cookbooks that have survived, and no period
>> North African cookbooks unless you count recipes in Andalusian cookbooks.
>>  >>
I know that all the recipes are supposed to have documentation.  I do know
one of the cookbooks that the Scottish recipes are supposed to have come
from, but I believe it is actually just past period.  As for North African,
I believe it is actually Arabic that they are planning.

For those who are interested.

Dreiburgens menu is :
Middle Eastern:  Turlu, Khabz, Shorbah, Bstilla, Hummus bi tahini
French:  Roast Leg of Lamb, sauces, red cabbage & chestnuts in wine, rice
pudding in almond milk, bread
Scottish:  Potage de la Reine, baps, forfar bridies, colcannon, shortbread

Starkhafns menu:
English:  Slit leek soup, Salat, Oatcakes, stewed cucumbers, boiled garlic,
mushrooms & leeks, Hedgehogs (spiced ground meat w/almond spines), Roast
peacock (actually chickens w/ tails), gingerbread, apple fritters
Italian:  Lasagne, hashed chard & spinach, sauted mushrooms, asparagus w/
saffron, roast onion salat, trout in pastry, round steak rolls, fruit
patties, apple jellies, candied orange rind
Middle eastern:  Trays w/ olives, cheeses, dates, figs etc.., yogurt sauce,
cucumber yogurt soup, hummus & pita bread, Tabuleh, fava beans, Shish
kebab, Baklava, Turkish delight.

Sorry I didn't always write the period names.  Just out of curiousity does
anyone have actual documentation for Baklava?  The closest I have come is
nut & meat pastries, or with inclusion of things like yogurt.

Aldgytha of Ashwood
Barony of Starkhafn (Las Vegas, NV)
Kingdom of Caid