SC - feastware question

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Oct 17 20:54:03 PDT 1998

Bear commented:

> > I meant, when were the anglo-saxon years to guess what
> > would be late.  More to the point was it the 1100's?
> >
> >                                               Helen
> >
> The Anglo-Saxon incursions into England begin about 500 CE and Anglo-Saxon
> culture is well established by about 700.  In 1066, William ends the reigns
> of the Anglo-Saxon kings.

But the Anglo-Saxon influence lasted past 1066, which I think is more to the
point here than the upper-level political structure. Part of the question
here about whether clay vessels or wooden or bread trenchers were used might
depend more on the class level of the feast than where it is held.

While this file in my Florilegium might have some info, I don't think any
of it is specific enough to answer the original question:

utensils-msg     (124K)  8/ 3/98    Utensils, plates, trenchers, cast iron pots.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net