SC - Apple Mousse

Bonne oftraquair at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 14 17:56:21 PDT 1998

The Cheshire Cat wrote:

> Hannah Thomas wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have any good recipes for apples?  There are a thousand on
> > our trees, and I can only make so much apple sauce!  These appear to be
> > baking apples (they don't taste that good when you eat them plain).
>
> Try this:
>
> Apple Mousse:
>
> 'A Prpoer Newe Book of Cokerye'
>
> To make Apple Moyse:  Take a dozen apples and ether roaste or boyle them
> and drawe them thorowe a streyner, and the yolkes of three or foure egges
> withal, and, as ye stryne them, temper them wyth three or foure sponefull
> of damaske water yf ye wyll, than take and season it wyth suger and halfe a
> dysche of swete butter, and boyle them upon a chaffyngdysche in a platter,
> and caste byskettes or synamon and gynger upon them and so serve them forth.

I'm very much behind in my reading, but now so glad I didn't just give up and
delete it all.  Can you give me an approximate date and place for this recipe?
Is anything metioned about baking it in a coffin?   I have a recipe that goes
back as far as the American colonial period which is basically this stuff in a
pie shell. How very cool if I could take it back a little farther?

Also, Hanna, about your apples:  do they get better to eat out of hand after
they've been stored awhile?  Some apples and pears aren't so good right off
the tree, but are better later in the winter after they've been stored.  It's
like they are _really_ ripe until a few months later.

Bonne