SC - Alcohol law in the SCA-personal thoughts

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Oct 20 17:46:10 PDT 1998

In a message dated 10/20/98 8:42:55 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Barbara.Weiszbrod at SW.Boeing.com writes:

<< Ras, please remember that here in Ansteorra we are in the middle of the
 Bible belt.  The mundane laws and attitudes about alcohol are not the same
 as they are there in the East.

 I am not saying that that nessisarily makes it the best decission, but you
 can not summarily dissmiss a decission that was based on the local culture
 and mind set. >>

You are  correct. My apologies. I was unaware that the restriction was
specifically confined to Ansteorra. The locals here are convinced that it is a
Corpora thing. I will have to look it up and see. Maybe things aren't as bad
as I seem to think they are.

I'm not really a 'bad' person but when I feel that an injustice is being
perpetrated I tend to get a little defensive. :-(  I am aware of some of the
cultural pecularities that occur ion Ansteorra but it still amazes me that a
culture that encourages it's citizens to walk around armed to the teeth could
have such an overeaction to alcohol.

BTW, I am aware of the situation regarding this matter because I was on the
Ansteorra list before, during and after this problem occured and it's
resulting solution. That soultion resulted in the adoption of the bad alsohol
policy. IIRC, it was to avoid future problems from occurring. I still feel
that it was adopted out of convenience without considering the drastic
imposition it would impose on the traditional activities of local shires. I
also feel that little consideration was given to the intrusion this law would
be to the personal liberties of their citizens

The opinions I posted are entirely my own and they are not meant to be a
blanket condemnation of either Ansteorra or it's population. If that is how my
post appeared then I am mortified!  My dedication to the SCA and it's ideals
is unquestionable. However, those governing the SCA are as human as I am.
Human beings occasionally make bad descisions. Fortunately humans can also
correct their mistakes. I sincerely hope that  this law can be modified to
exclude feast preparation and Brewer's Guilds.

I also encourage anyone who agrees with me to do what ever it takes to have
this law modified. Once again my apologies for any misunderstandings I may
have caused.

al-Sayyid Ras