SC - plates

Ian van Tets ivantets at botzoo.uct.ac.za
Wed Oct 21 13:18:31 PDT 1998

Hello!

As to the subject of plates in period, and whether or not they
existed, there is a picture in a library book I saw once, can't
remember the name, think it was 'Chaucer and his World'.  I have the
picture if I can work out how to send it...

It's a tavern scene (I seem to fixated on taverns this morning, I'm
not normally) with, among other interesting bits of equipment, a
whole lot of little platey things on the table.  They appear to be
shiny and completely flat, and about the size of an average coaster.
They were round.  Each person has one in front of them.  The picture
dates from the 14th century, I think.  Any ideas on material, use,
name, etc.?

INcidentally, there was also a rather snazzy chest-bench in the same
picture, which is an ordinary chest, but with ends which rise to
head-height if you're sitting.  Attached to the ends, by bolts I
think (but may well be wrong), is a [-shaped backrest which can be
swung over the top so you can either face the fire or the table,
without moving the settle.

Sorry for the off-topic addition, but it rather caught my eye.

Cairistiona