SC - Baklava (was: tour in time)

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Oct 21 08:51:28 PDT 1998

grasse at mscd.edu wrote:

> Hummus can be made without the tahini - just using chick peas, garlic,
> lemon... (I think I am forgetting something, but am not sure what.  is
> lower in calories, a little less rich, but still quite tasty.  (Not
> intended as argument  for periodness, but is an option for omitting an
> undocumentable ingredient.)

And, what may be just as important, the fact that hummus without tahini is
about as common in the Middle East as hummus with tahini might be seen to
indicate that the tahini type is a variant on a dish which _might_ be older
than we suppose.

Another question we might look into is if there is an older dish made with
some other legume, made similarly, with or without tahini, like, for example,
the various Egyptian fava bean pastes.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --