Honeycomb was SC - Geletain Bees wings

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Oct 22 08:46:18 PDT 1998

Maynard, Steven wrote:

> This made me think.
> Is Honeycomb (a confectionry made with brown sugar and baking soda [I'm not
> sure what it is called in other country's) period.
> Yet another gumby cooks question
> William=-)

Well, baking soda used in food as a leavening or bubbling agent seems not to
be, so I'd have to say it's unlikely such a confection existed in period. For
that matter, what we call brown sugar in the USA, being granulated white sugar
made semi-cohesive, brown, and slightly sticky, with the addition of molasses,
is also not found in period, so far as I know.

I _am_, though, aware of an Irish candy (or at least I found it in an Irish
cookbook) called, I believe, Yellow Man, which involves very lightly
caramelized sugar (or maybe it's brown sugar cooked to some variant on the
crack or candy stage) with vinegar and baking soda, so it fizzez to a foam as
it cools and hardens. To me this sounds like something that might have been
sold at fairs in the late 19th century at the earliest.

Is that what Honeycomb is?

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --