SC - OED ??

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Thu Oct 22 08:57:47 PDT 1998

>The Oxford English Dictionary, in only its second published edition
>since its initial volumes were first published in, I believe, the late
>1880's or so, is still the definitive work on English words and their
>etymology. I understand a third edition is in the works (rather than
>new editions they used to publish an annual supplement, I think), but
>for many, many years it was considered unnecessary to even consider
>another edition.
>
>Adamantius
>Østgardr, East

On one of the last legs of our recent Great Britain trip, we were in
Oxford.  My lord and I were tired, and so opted for a narrated bus tour,
with us sitting in the top of an open double-decker bus, with headphones
on.  At one point, we stopped in front of the Museum of Sciences, a
lovely building with some interesting carved heads in front of it.  The
narration said that the original edition of the OED was compiled in the
building, and we surprised the Japanese ladies sitting behind us by doing
the "We're not worthy!" genuflection, only saying "We ARE worthy!".  It
was more special to us than the cross done in tiles in the middle of an
intersection marking the spot where the three martyr bishops were burned
at the stake.
Christianna