SC - course plan

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Oct 23 14:43:32 PDT 1998

At 9:28 PM -0400 10/21/98, andy oppenheim wrote:
>I have enough recipes for teaching the course. I will teach 1 peasant and
>royal meal and feast. So what I am looking for is how a kitchen was
>organizes and what they were stocked with
>Andy

See the first part of Du Fait de Cuisine--there is a commercially published
Terrance Scully translation, and my translation is in Cariadoc's cookbook
collection vol. 2 and (I think) up on Cariadoc's website. Also:

"In a kitchen there should be a small table on which cabbage may be minced,
and also lentils, peas, shelled beans, beans in the pod, millet, onions,
and other vegetables of the kind that can be cut up.  There should be also
pots, tripods, a mortar, a hatchet, a pestle, a stirring stick, a hook, a
cauldron, a bronze vessel, a small pan, a baking pan, a meathook, a
griddle, small pitchers, a trencher, a bowl, a platter, a pickling vat, and
knives for cleaning fish.  In a vivarium let fish be kept, in which they
can be caught by net, fork, spear, or light hook, or with a basket.  The
chief cook should have a cupboard in the kitchen where he may store away
aromatic spices, and bread flour sifted through a sieve-and used also for
feeding small fish-may be hidden away there.  Let there be also a cleaning
place where the entrails and feathers of ducks and other domestic fowl can
be removed and the birds cleaned.  Likewise there should be a large spoon
for removing foam and skimming.  Also there should be hot water for
scalding fowl.

"Have a pepper mill and a hand mill.  Small fish for cooking should be put
into a pickling mixture, that is, water mixed with salt...  To be sure,
pickling is not for all fish, for these are of different kinds:  mullets,
soles, sea eels, lampreys, mackerel, turbot, sperlings, gudgeons, sea
bream, young tunnies, cod, plaice, stargazers[?], anglers, herring,
lobsters fried in half an egg, bougues, sea mullets, and oysters.  There
should also be a garde-robe pit through which the filth of the kitchen may
be evacuated.  In the pantry let there be shaggy towels, tablecloth, and an
ordinary hand towel which shall hang from a pole to avoid mice.  Knives
should be kept in the pantry, an engraved saucedish, a saltceller, a cheese
container, a candelabra, a lantern, a candlestick, and baskets.  In the
cellar or storeroom should be casks, tuns, wineskins, cups, cup cases,
spoons, ewers, basins, baskets, pure wine, cider, beer, unfermented wine,
mixed wine, claret, nectar, mead... piment, pear wine, red wine, wine from
Auvergne, clove-spiced wine for gluttons whose thirst is unquenchable..."

>From De nominibus utenslium by Alexander Neckam (1157-1217), quoted (and
translated from the Latin) in Daily Living in the Twelfth Century by Urban
Tigner Holmes, Jr., University of Wisconsin Press, 1952, pp.93-94

Elizabeth/Betty Cook.