SC - Islinglass

Robyn Probert robyn.probert at lawpoint.com.au
Tue Oct 27 03:53:22 PST 1998

Hello list,

>> > "the swimming bladder of certain fish".
>> Thanks! That really puzzled me! Swimming bladder of fish is the
>> "isenglas",
>> right? would this be a thickener?
>>
>Islinglass is indeed made from the swim bladder of some type of fish
>(can't remember which one off the top of my head right now).

Isinglass was also used to preserve eggs through winter - it formed a
coating on the outside preventing air from getting in.

Rowan
Robyn Probert					Phone +61 2 9239 4999
Services Development Manager			Fax   +61 2 9221 8671
Customer Support Manager			15 Castlereagh St
Lawpoint Pty Limited				Sydney  NSW  AUSTRALIA