SC - Good experience, and a recipe

kat kat at kagan.com
Mon Oct 26 17:31:35 PST 1998

Hi folks; had a neat experience this weekend I wanted to share...

	This past weekend was our group's annual Poachers' Feast.  Now, this is the one event a year where we get extremely irreverent; and complete authenticity is not necessarily the norm.  (Nobles and peers if they attend must come disguised; it's great fun!)

	However...  of the 25 or so potluck dishes on the sideboard, four--count 'em, FOUR--were documentably period recipes:  Wardons in Syrup, a dish of peas whose name I don't remember but is probably called A Dysshe of Peas, and not one but two versions of Fungys.  There were a large number of passably perioid dishes, too; like a nice brown rice with mushrooms.

	And only TWO dishes containing potatoes!  :-)

	We're getting to them, folks... slowly, but surely...

		- kat

p.s.  No, I didn't get any recipes, but I can give you my version of the peas, which I brought.  I don't remember the source or the original text, so please forgive any inaccuracies.  Try this sometime; it's really good.

	Take peas and boil them in almond milk with a little sugar until the milk begins to thicken.  Fry onions in oil and put over the peas.

	(You're also supposed to drizzle extra oil over the top, but I usually omit this since it didn't make any noticeable difference any of the times we tried it.)  The original calls for "white peas" and, since we were unable to even agree what white peas were, let alone find any, we used frozen green peas.

	The dish comes out tasting, oddly enough, very similar to my father's creamed potatoes and peas--odd because the only ingredient the two have in common is the peas.  It's a strange world...  ;-)

- --kat griffith, editor--

This is my business address.  Sending files of over 100K in size to this address will result in my being summarily flogged.