SC - Commonwealth?

Weiszbrod, Barbara A Barbara.Weiszbrod at SW.Boeing.com
Tue Oct 27 08:54:32 PST 1998

> A parish is also a political subdivision of a British county, usually
> corresponding to an ecclesiastical parish.  Since Massachusetts is one of
> the original colonies, I would say your parishes are a holdover from the
> British system.

Yes, they are ecclesiastical.  The Parish of Byfield Ma is made of parts of
Rowley, Newbury, and I think Georgetown.  Although people use Byfield as
their address, the police and governemnt falls back to the indevidual towns.

Rowley, my home town, is unusual these days in still being run by Town
Meetings.  Anyone that is interested enough to attend the meetings is
allowed to have their say on any issue, and gets a vote too.  We don't even
have a Mayor.  The beauty of small town living!

Alys D.