SC - My Upcoming feast... menu ver 1.0

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Oct 26 20:35:07 PST 1998

At 11:24 AM -0500 10/26/98, LrdRas at AOL.COM wrote:
>In a message dated 10/26/98 10:15:01 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>gedje01 at mail.cai.com writes:
>
><< This author appears to use the terms "ale" and "beer" interchangeably, so I
> picked one (50 - 50 chance). I'll try both in the test cooking.
>
> brandu >>
>
>Does the author stipulate in the same recipe an 'either/or' situation
>regarding the beer/ale? Or does the suthor use beer in some recipes and ale in
>others/ If the later I think that  he was being specific with the
>ingredient.For example, amy of my cookbooks call for red wine in a recipe and
>others call for white wine as the liquid. I couldn't justifiably conclude that
>red wine and white wine are interchangable.

What do you assume that "beer" and "ale" meant in the 14th and 15th c.? I
would have guessed that if there is a distinction at that point, it is the
presence or absence of hops. As best I understand the matter, one of them
(I think ale) was the version that was expected to be drunk shortly after
being fermented, the other the version that was expected to keep--and one
result was that when hops came in around this time, it was the latter that
was originally hopped, hops being (among other things) a preservative.

David Friedman
Professor of Law
Santa Clara University
ddfr at best.com