SC - Meat days/fast days/ecclesiastical dishes

kat kat at kagan.com
Wed Oct 28 16:06:27 PST 1998

Diarmait mac Tiernaich writes:

> I think the point (that I believe someone else made earlier), isn't that
> "veggie" or meatless dishes are "offensive" but, rather, not indicative
> of an Accurate typical Period Feast...
> "Vegetarianism" is a rather modern contrivance...
> I can see where some would want to make all sorts of modifications and
> exceptions to be able to accomodate the non-meat eaters, but, one must
> realize that in doing so, you are missing the "purpose" of a typical
> Period feast...

But we have recently, on this list, *proved* that they often, *at high feasts,* served a meat menu and a "fish" menu side by side!  The fish menu was, of course, for the clergy; but not *every* dish on the clerical menu contained fish.  They were *all,* however, devoid of "flesh."

I don't see here any evidence that folks "abstained" from eating those portions of the feast unacceptable to them.  I see instead a great deal of evidence that separate menus were specifically provided for them.

Please check the back pages of Vol. ii of "Take a Thousand Eggs."  There are nearly half a dozen menus that prove my point.  (Being at work, I don't have access to my books at the moment.)

What it all boils down to, of course, is that each and every cook will make his or her own choice on how to accomodate their feasters.  And my personal choice is that no one who pays to attend one of my feasts should leave hungry, unless their own damn foolishness is to blame.

And that's my US$0.02....

	- kat

p.s.  Please, people, snip your posts!!!

- --kat griffith, editor--

This is my business address.  Sending files of over 100K in size to this address will result in my being summarily flogged.