SC - meat days and fast days - MIXED?

Shari Burnham pndarvis at execpc.com
Thu Oct 29 08:11:45 PST 1998

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

>   The SCA tradition is to recreate the 'best' of the Middle Ages'.
> That being a given people who 'insist' on being treated as peasants should not
> expect anything less for their anti-organization play.  Frankly put, if you
> insist on eating as a peasant at feasts then the bottom line is for you to
> provide your own peasant fair.  The 'best' does not translate into serving
> foods suitable for the poor at feasts.  In a more practical vein, the recipes
> we have to choose from cere created for tee upper middle class at the very
> least and for the nobility for all practical purposes.

I agree with this statement.  When I eat feast, I am there to eat a FEAST.  I am
not there to eat peasant fair.  I want the best there is to offer.  The idea of
"keeping up with the joneses" is not a new one.  I'll use Queen Elizabeth as an
example.  She set her own ways, and everyone followed.  WHY? because "I want to be
like the queen".  How many nobles in the middle ages would eat like peasants given
the choice?  (ok, there were nobility who were not exactly wealthy, I
understand..)  If there are people who insist on being peasants, fine.  I could
use a few more scullery maids.  I have some latrines that can be cleaned out.

> What this translates into is that if a person insists on being treated as a
> peasant then they should line up at the back door and wait for the leftovers
> and scraps to be thrown out to them.

Come on now Ras, I have hunting dogs to feed.  The poor at the door can get their
alms from the church.

> All in all, I agree that 'vegetarians' as we know them in the current middle
> ages did not exist during the first middle ages.  I also agree that it is
> absurd for 2 or 3 individuals (whether they are veggies or allergic) should
> reasonably assume that it would be appropriate to ask that a feast for 100
> plus people be specifically geared toward their special needs or wants.
>
> Unfortunately, there is an insidious social custom afoot today which
> erroneously thinks that because one person is offended by something there is
> some kind of obligation to cater to that selfish whim.  I, like you, ignore
> such insensitivity to the needs of the majority who are trying to experience
> as closely as possible the way they did things in the MA.
>
> Ras

Being a vegetarian myself, I would find it WRONG if someone tried to accomodate
little ole me instead of the needs of 100+ people. (and I think it's wrong when
others do as well.  Ya don't like it? allergic? DON'T EAT IT!!!!) I have never
been at a feast that there was something I could NOT eat.  There is always bread,
there are always vegetables, there is always dessert.  And being demi-vegetarian,
on the rare occasions that I let myself have fish, It is usually at  a feast that
I know fish is served.  A true Vegan would have more difficulty, being on the no
meat no dairy no animal products, but hey, there is always bread, usually some
type of jams/preserves, and plenty of other options they could bring with them.
It has been 11 years since I had white meat and 13 since I have had red, but I
still cook it, serve it, and have no problems with it.  I think people who EXPECT
the cuisinier to cater to their needs are incorrect.  My friend Dahrien brought up
a good point (he is an extremely picky eater by the way): feast is being served
for those who want to eat feast.  I like eating feast even though there are many
foods I do not like, I never starve at a feast.  If people can't be accomodating,
they can be un-accomodating at  a restaurant.  This is not BK, you will not serve
it "their way". (he has milk and mushroom allergies on top of it).  I like the
idea that Kat brought up that often two menus were served for purposes of clergy,
etc.  I would like to try this someday.

Just my ranting and raving, we now return you to your regularily scheduled list.
Lady Elisabeth, who is going on vacation in 13 days and counting. (the new phrase
at work is "I'm going to VA. No new projects.")