SC - carpenter

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 29 10:40:23 PST 1998

>I get to design the kitchen to meet my needs, and he'll donate the
cabinetry and hood and venting,
>I just have to provide the Illumination and appliances. I hope to have
saved
>12,000 dollars from the mortgage for the Viking Commercial Quality
stove,
>Extra large refrigerator, freezer, dishwasher, and cooled granite
pastry
>board. I also will have a full and properly maple pedestalled chopping
block
>with built in knife storage, made by myself.
>See, a cook does indeed know how to build a good kitchen!!
>
>brandu

YOu know, so long as your are dreaming, pay a designer to really help
you think this out.  Do you teach cooking, or would you if you had a
kitchen designed for multiple workstations?  I'm thinking in terms of
the classes Cariadoc describes, where groups come in and work on
redacting recipes together.

Somewhere, I have a ripped out article from a architecture magazine that
has many of my dream features.  It featured:
A baking station (counter top with room for rolling out stuff, cabinets
for storing massive quantities of materials, wall oven)
a chopping center (butcher block, sink, place for knives),
a butchering area (another butcher block and sink and place for knives)
and of course the stove and sink areas, as well as a "breakfast bar" and
room for a big kitchen table.

Wouldn't this be heaven?  Especially for haolding classes like
Cariadoc's.  But here's the really neat feature I intend to have
someday:  a cold storage room.  Jutting out on the north side of the
building they put a pantry sized room with a smallest available room
size air conditioner, the door to the room was able to seal out the
kitchen air.  The temperature of the room could be kept just so for
storing vegetables or baked goods, the air was a little warmer and
moister than the refrigerator.  And of course, you could store massive
amounts of fruits, veg and prepared foods.  The protuding room was
insulated from the house and the outside temps, as well as having
evergreens planted outside it for more insulation.

It reminded me of a farmhouse we lived in once.  Only selected rooms on
the first floor were heated. There was a former back porch behind the
kitchen that had been enclosed but not insulated.  From there, you
entered a room that was not otherwise connected to the house, about 8x8
with shelves on two walls.  It was not heated or insulated, just
clapboards.  It was protected by trees outside and faced northeast.  In
winter, my mom kept all sorts of stuff out there, especially during the
holidays when the fridge got full. We stored lots of potatoes, onions
and other veggies out there in bulk. Even in summer that room was cooler
than the kitchen.  At one point there was a door from there into a
screen room which then let into the outdoor kitchen/laundry as late as
the 1960's.  About that time town had grown out to the farm and the
owners modernized, closed up that door and turned the outdoor kitchen
into a garage.

Years later, in England, I noted my mother in law has a closet in the
kitchen that is on the outside wall, uninsulated from the outside brick
wall, with screened vents.  Although she doesn't use it this way, when
this block of flats was built just post WWII, this closet, combined with
the British climate and habit of daily shopping and morning milk
delivery would allow you to get along comfortably without a
refrigetrator.

Bonne