SC - 14th Century Sources

Philip W. Troy & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Oct 30 04:16:50 PST 1998

david friedman wrote:

> >The feast will be English or possibly English, Irish and
> >Scottish all together (one course of each with an opening or closing
> >course that combines them together).  I would prefer to do the second
> >style as the event is themed on the British Isles.
>
> Finding English 14th c. recipes is easy, finding Irish and Scottish 14th c.
> recipes is probably impossible.
>
> David/Cariadoc

Certainly an entire course of Irish dishes would be largely based on
speculation, which, as long as people are aware of that, shouldn't be too much
of a problem. As for the Scottish dishes, one could certainly draw on
speculation, acquaintance with the modern "ethnic" cuisine, etc., but then what
many people fail to realize is that a "typical" feast for the upper Scots
nobles would most likely be represented by the eating habits of Lowland
Scotland, whose foods are and were pretty similar to contemporary English
foods. I mean, a significant chunk of the Scottish nobles eating this Scottish
feast would probably prefer the Anglo-Norman foods, William Wallace, Robert the
Bruce or not. I'd be likely to think in terms of finding 14th-century
Anglo-Norman foods that represent ingredients available in Scotland. For
example, I vaguely recall a pottage of cabbage with groats of barley in it.

Adamantius