SC - hunoral theory-(meat days and fast days - MIXED?)

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Sat Oct 31 10:36:10 PST 1998

Ras, et al,

>> I don't feel that the neccessity of using those manuscripts
necessarily translates into an observation that the majority of medival
cooks paid any particular attention to then current medical advice.
Snip.
 Is there evidence outside of Platina that would point to wide spread
use?<<

Yes, there is.

Scully, Terence.  The Art of Cookery in the Middle Ages.  Boydell Press,
Woodbridge, UK. 1995.
ISBN 0 85115 611 8.

I did a class/artical on the the humoral bases of sauce composition, that
appearred in Serve It Forth, and Ras, I think I sent you a copy of that.
If, not I'll e-mail if you want.

Rawcliffe, Carole.  Medicine & Society in Later Medieval England. Alan
Sutton Publishing Ltd., United Kingdom, 1995.  ISBN 0 86299 598 1.

"Laymen with a smattering of formal education shared with clerks and
scholars a profound veneration for Hippocrates and Galen, the two
greatest stars in the medical firmament, whose names alone seemed to
guarantee a successful cure.  Often in association with Socrates....they
were regularly invoked in fulsome language of the kind... (poem follows)"
 Whole chapters on this humoral theory

Best, Michael R., editor THE ENGLISH HOUSEWIFE by Gervase Markham.
McGill-	Queen's 	University Press, 1986.

"As in other popular medical works of the period, most of Markham's
remedies belong to a tradition of medicine which dates back to such
medical authorities of antiquity as Hippocrated, Dioscorides, Pliny, and
Galen.  The recipes taken from the Banckes herbal (1525) certainly belong
to this tradition, and there are many others similar in kind to those
contained in late medieval medical manuscripts."

Before you say that this is medicine, not cooking, cooking WAS medicine
in our period.  The cook, as Chiquart and others, consulted with the
physician attached to the household.  Happy researching, Ras.

Regards,

Allison
allilyn at juno.com, Barony Marche of the Debatable Lands, Pittsburgh, PA
Kingdom of Aethelmearc