SC - FW: Food fights at feasts

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Oct 12 15:57:41 PDT 1998

Maynard, Steven wrote:

>  ----------
> From: Phil & Susan Troy
> Hey, no fair!
> Many of you in Lochac are of British extraction...you have The Drones Club
> in
> your blood!
> We Americans just have Hal Roach to fall back on...
>
> Adamantius
>
> Ummm forgive my ignorance and to quote a now ex politician, please
> explain<=-|

The Drones Club is a fictional gentleman's club in many of P.G. Wodehouse's
stories. Those who don't read such stuff have my pity, but they can check out
the BBC's "Jeeves and Wooster" series (what is the plural of series?) for the
general idea. Wodehouse frequently describes the Drones as a place where a
good deal of bread is likely to be thrown about, due to the extreme juvenile
merriment of its members. One story concerns large bets being placed on the
skill of a kid with a slingshot (known to British-English-speakers as a
catapult) and a brazil nut, replete with out-of-place horseracing jargon.

Hal Roach, a founding partner of United Artists, producer and director of
many, many American silent and early talkie movies: he is responsible for
promoting Laurel and Hardy, as well as the Our Gang shorts. It is through
these achievements that he assumes his glorious niche in the Pantheon of the
most creative people throughout the ages -- he is the acknowledged inventor of
the cinematic pie fight.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --