SC - The High Cost of Feasts/Events

Robyn Probert robyn.probert at lawpoint.com.au
Tue Oct 13 01:25:03 PDT 1998

Hello list,

I've little time to do anything other than lurk and delete at the moment,
but no-one else from Lochac seems to have commented on this one....

We have obviously developed a different (SCA) culture in this regard! In
general in Lochac:

* Everyone is "on-board" - there is no off-board option at events, even
Principality events! The assumption is that if you come for a feast, you
eat. For Principality events you might attend either the court/feast or the
tourney/lunch day or both, but you do eat!

* Children under 5 or 6 are usually free. Up to about 15 is half price.
Principality events usually have a family rate equivalent to 2 adults and 2
children (ie 3 adults). Members are usually about $5 less and there may be
student/hardship rates as well.

* Most local feasts come in at about the $15 - $20 mark - about the same as
a cheap dinner out. Principality events are about $20 - $40 for two days (ie
feast and lunch the next day), depending on when you book.

* People are slack about booking, but this has always been the case, so you
get pretty good at guesstimating (lets see, if 120 people have booked, we'd
better cook for 180...). Most groups have a good idea how many people will
show for lcoal events and people are better about Principality events.
Prices for these go up at the door which does enourage advance bookings.

* Very rarely, there is a feast with fixed numbers - this fact has to be
heavily advertised!

* I haven't noticed a decline in numbers - in fact principality events are
getting bigger and the food is getting better.

I hope I can find more time to spend with you all again soon...
Rowan
Robyn Probert					Phone +61 2 9239 4999
Services Development Manager			Fax   +61 2 9221 8671
Customer Support Manager			15 Castlereagh St
Lawpoint Pty Limited				Sydney  NSW  AUSTRALIA