SC - Italian Ren Feast

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Oct 13 03:28:59 PDT 1998

david friedman wrote:

> You might want to look through the webbed Miscellany (and other sources)
> for recipes from Platina, who is Italian, late 15th c. Two other sources
> (very closely related to Platina) are Martino's cookbook, a little earlier
> (there is no translation into English that I know of), and Epulario, which
> is a c. 1600 English translation of an Italian cookbook, probably c. 1480.

Another thing that might be worth considering is that Platina's De Honesta
Voluptate et Valetudine was apparently written with Martino's work as its
[partial] source document, which explains why the Vatican librarian had such
an encyclopedic knowledge of cookery. The latest translation/edition of
Platina that I've seen, one done by Mary Ella Millham, suggests that around
90% of Martino's work is virtually quoted by Platina.

Now, I'm _not_ saying you shouldn't go out and get both. If you want to make a
serious study of the subject you definitely should. But, if you are on a
deadline of some kind, or a book budget, you might prioritize and get the
Platina first, because it may be easier to lay hands upon.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --
Phil & Susan Troy