SC - Period Feasts

LHG, JRG liontamr at ptd.net
Thu Oct 15 19:10:05 PDT 1998

- ------------------------------

>Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 13:44:50 -0400
>From: Linda Carey <licarey at com1.med.usf.edu>
>Subject: Re: SC - Period Feasts

>Groulx, Michelle wrote:

>> Ragnar said...
>>
>> >Educating the populace to a more period palate is reasonable and
>> should be
>> encouraged, but adjusting period recipes to a more modern taste is
>> acceptable as well.<
>>
>> Not on my planet.
>>

>Excuse me, milady, but may I ask what kingdom you are in?  I'm
>interested in hearing if all kingdoms agree on this;  is it not
>acceptable to adjust period recipes to modern palates at all?
>- --Seannach

	I have to respond to this because, well, I've been at this since mud was
new. "Adjusting to modern taste" is IMHO a false perception. There are no
amounts in most period recipes. Thus How do you know we aren't already
adjusting for modern tastes in period recipes? I feel that what you are
disputing here is THE COOK"S tastes, not the recipe's directions. Disliking
food is a result of A) extreme finikiness or B) Bad cooking. I have
suffered from both upon occaision. Good food is Good food is GOOD food. By
any other name, it would taste the same. So call it quaking pudding
(16-1700s) or call it flan (1990s), the idea is the same and the results
are the same. The dishes are similar, and get the same results. People like
jiggly, sweet, light creamy stuff. Call it what you want, describe the
cooking how you want. It's still good food.

	I am reminded (rather humbly) of my excitement at discovering a recipe for
an alcoholic tudor fruit  gelatin. I was sure I had found a recipe for a
dish that didn't survive to modern times and thus would be *really novel*
to my experienced feasters. Imagine my chagrin, upon serving the yummy
dish, to discover the college students saying things like "Hey, Cool!
Period Jello Shots"!

There is nothing new on this earth-----
The fault lies, not in our stars, but in ourselves---
To everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under
heaven----

(just some apt quotes by a bunch of dead people)

Aoife