SC - Period Feasts/modern tastes

Karen tyrca at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 15 08:35:53 PDT 1998

Berengaria mused:
>       Secondly, I would observe, as I'm sure others will,
>       that once again the assumption is being presented
>       that a period dish is antithetical to modern tastes.
>       Why is that?  Where does this assumption come from?
<<<<<<<<

I think that emotionally some of it stems back to what I call the
Victorian attitude.  Basically that 19th Century Englishmen (not
women, and not anything buy white) were the height of creation, and
that anything that came before were ignorant.

In other words, it is impossible for the food to be as delicious as
ours because they didn't know what was good.  They were not us, and
obviously ate barbaric things.

It amazes me, as others have said, that we are stoutly supportive of
historical research that proves that "all knights were 5 feet tall,
and wore 100# armor" is incorrect.  We go to great lengths to prove
the learning and scholarship of the scribes who hand copied books for
most of period.  And yet, without thinking, we make emotional
judgments about their food without even examining the facts.  On this
list, my own horizons have been vastly expanded to see a greater and
very diverse Medevial world.  They really were like us, and enjoyed
eating the same way we do.

(sorry, I'm down off the box now, ready to quietly sit and listen to
the debate from under the rock.)

Tyrca