SC - Period Feasts/modern tastes

upsxdls at okway.okstate.edu upsxdls at okway.okstate.edu
Thu Oct 15 13:16:07 PDT 1998

     Angeline said:  (Chopped a bunch out) How many 'modern' cooks would
     think to make a cherry pudding with cherries and bread crumbs?(the
     recipe out of pleyn delit).   It tasted really good!
     Leanna of Sparrowhaven answers:  The first time I picked up "Pleyn
     Delit," I caught myself looking for "familiar" food.  I can't tell you
     how many times my mom made bread pudding while I was growing up.  This
     recipe was so familiar.  The only difference was/is that Mom chunked
     up the bread, she didn't turn it into crumbs.  Depending on our
     resources, the pudding was enhanced with nuts, dried fruit and various
     spices.  Mom would cook fresh fruit with a bit of sugar to make a
     "fruit sauce."  I'll bet the chocolate gravy would be wonderful.
     Since I was underage at the time, she wouldn't let me taste the hard
     sauce.

     I'm testing my period cooking on my family first.  If they don't like
     it, no one will.  But I make no announcements that might prejudice
     their taste.  For example:  at a revel, I tasted a barly/mushroom
     dish, but it must have been overcooked (or maybe scorched).  It tasted
     bland and had an almost slimy texture.  At the next feast, there was a
     similar looking dish served.  I hesitated, but tried it anyway.
     Wonderful!  Not slimy, sticky or gooey.  Of course, when I asked the
     cook, she said the wonderful recipe came from "The Frugal Gourmet; On
     Our Immigrant Ancestors."