SC - Period Feasts

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Thu Oct 15 14:04:29 PDT 1998

In a message dated 10/14/98 1:47:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
licarey at com1.med.usf.edu writes:

<< Excuse me, milady, but may I ask what kingdom you are in?  I'm
 interested in hearing if all kingdoms agree on this;  is it not
 acceptable to adjust period recipes to modern palates at all? >>

What do you mean by "adjusting to modern palates"?  Even if we follow the
recipes as originally written (usually without amounts of spices, etc), and
fiddle with it until it tastes good, but without changing any of the
ingredients, we've "adjusted it to the modern palate" without changing it
significantly in any way we can know about.  This is perfectly acceptable, I
would think.
If, on the other hand, "changing to suit a modern palate" means actually
substituting ingredients(as in , "Well, I don't want cinnamon, ginger and
nutmeg with beans, garlic, and onions, so I'm going to change the spices to
oregano, parsley, and rosemary"), then I don't think you can legitimately
claim that you are still using a period recipe, except as inspiration.  That
kind of adjusting I would not consider acceptable.
If it matters, I'm in the East Kingdom.

Brangwayna