SC - Re: Feastware Question

Brenna sunnie at exis.net
Thu Oct 15 19:42:54 PDT 1998

Elise Fleming wrote:

> 'Twas questioned:
>
> > WHY, if man has been making pottery since prehistory, does everyone
> >say my 12th cent. feast needs to  have wooden/bread trenchers or
> >metal?  Why was pottery not vogue in that time? I  just got through
> >looking at a site that has beautiful late anglo-saxon reproduction
> >pottery on it.   (from historical dig site finds) What time frame was
> >that?

A little off subject.  Yes, I have broken (or my children have broken) two
pieces of my original pottery set.  But, the reason I use wood has more to do
with the US Government (at least USDA for it's studies in kitchen safety) than
durability.  Wooden cutting boards (and feast gear) swell when they get wet and
create an inhospitable environment for the growth of nasties.  Considering the
fact that they are not washed everyday and are not sterilized in the dishwasher
(Don't laugh, I know someone who washed her feast gear in the dishwasher and
fractured it.), I like the idea that it will do this.  I have personally never
found a metal set that I liked either.

Brenna