SC - Blood- A Good Food

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Oct 16 03:42:35 PDT 1998

In a message dated 10/15/98 7:27:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time, RuddR at aol.com
writes:

<< In Forme of Cury I found a pie called "malaches" that had pig's
 blood as its initial ingredient.  I felt that my guests would not appreciate
 this >>

What caused you to feel this way? Many modern foods use blood as an
ingredient. The next time you visit your local market check out the prepared
meat section and read the labels carefully. You should see the term <name your
meat> 'by-products'. There is also blood sausage and many other wonderful
foods tyhat use blood as an ingredient.

I can understand that certain religions such as that practiced by the Jewish
people, for bid it's use.  But the rest of us don't have such prohibitions.
For instance a rabbit dish that I recently used at a feast had a sauce which
was used rabbit blood for an ingredient. No one seemed to notice a so far as I
could tell from the empty platters. :-) I also use blood as a thickener in
several dishes both modern and medieval. Have you ever considered what the
brown bits might be that are in the bottom of a pan and make such wonderful
gravy? Yep, for most part blood. :-) For me, blood is one of the 'good' foods;
a rarely appreciated ingredient that can , when used appropriately,  make the
difference between blech! and Yummm!. :-)

Oftentimes we as cooks put our own food preferences on the foreburner and ,
being human, we tend to credit everyone with the same aversions. Even I have
been guilty of this on an occasion or two.

Ras