SC - Steak- OED- Long

Philippa Alderton phlip at bright.net
Sat Oct 17 08:06:48 PDT 1998

More than anyone in their right minds would want to know about STEAK
;-)

OED Entry Search
steak

steak steik. Forms: 5 steike, steyke, styke, 5-6 steke, 6 steake, 7-8
stake, 7- steak. a. ONor. steik fem. (Sw. stek, Da. steg), cogn. w. steikja
to roast on a spit, stikna to be roasted.

1. a. A thick slice or strip of meat cut for roasting by grilling or
frying, sometimes used in a pie or pudding; esp. a piece cut from the hind
quarters of the animal; when used without qualification = beef-steak; also
with qualifying word indicating the part from which it is cut, as

rump

rump,

sirloin steak

sirloin steak, or specifying how it should be cooked, as

stewing steak

stewing steak (meat from a less tender cut: see stewing vbl. sb. b).

•14.. King & Hermit 373 in Hazlitt E.P.P. (1864) I. 27 Fyll this eft, and
late us lyke, And between rost us a styke.

•C. 1420 Two Cookery Bks. 3 To make stekys of venysoun or Beef.

•1426 Lydg. De Guil. Pilgr. 12802 Now to ffrye, now steykës make, And many
other soteltes;

•C. 1450 Douce MS. 55 xvij, Take feyre moton of the buttes & kutt it in
maner of stekes;

•1530 Palsgr. 275/2 Steke of flesshe, charbonnee.

•1646 Quarles Sheph. Oracles iv. 39 You can convert a dish Of Steakes to
Roots.

•1735 Dyche & Pardon Dict., Stake,..a small Slice of Meat to be broiled
before or on the Fire, when a Person cannot or will not stay till a regular
Joint is boiled or roasted, &c;

•1747 Mrs. Glasse Cookery i. 6 To Broil Steaks... Take fine Rump Steaks
about Half an Inch thick [etc.].

•1747 Mrs. Glasse Cookery, i. 6 As to Mutton and Pork Steaks, you must keep
them turning quick on the Gridiron.

•1747 Mrs. Glasse Cookery ii. 16 Cut a Neck of Veal into Steaks.

•1842 Tennyson Will Waterproof 148 How out of place she makes The violet of
a legend blow Among the chops and steaks!

•1848 Dickens Dombey iv, Uncle Sol and his nephew were speedily engaged on
a fried sole with a prospect of steak to follow.

b. A thick slice (of cod, salmon, halibut, or hake).

•1883 Standard 30 Nov. 2/2 `G. S. C.'s' Fishmonger charged 10d. per lb. for
his best cod steaks.

c. transf. and fig. Now rare or Obs.

•1607 Middleton Five Gallants iv. v. F 4 b, Bun. You must not thinke to
tread ath ground when you come there.-Go. No, how then? Bun. Why vpon paths
made of fig-frailes, & white blankets cut out in steakes;

•1607 Middleton Phoenix i. v. C 3 b, Is that your Lackey yonder, in the
steakes of veluet.

•A. 1616 Beaum. & Fl; Maid in Mill iv. ii, Bust. Safe? do you hear? take
notice what plight you find me in, if there want but a collop or steak o'
me, look to't.

•1641 Milton Reform. ii. 44 Their Malvezzi that can cut Tacitus into
slivers and steaks.

•1694 Motteux Rabelais v. xvi. 73 With this he lugg'd out his slashing
Cutlas..to cut the cousening Varlets into Stakes.

2. Similative uses.

a.sea steak

sea steak. (See quot.) Obs. Cf. stick sb.

•1798 Rep. Herring Fisheries in Rep. Committees Ho. Comm. (1803) X. 215/2
Sea Steaks, which mean Herrings in their first state of being barrelled.

b. two-eyed steak

two-eyed steak slang: see quot. 1894.

•1893 Farmer Slang, s.v. Glasgow Magistrate, Two-eye'd steak.

•1894 Daily News 4 Sept. 5/2 Mr. George Augustus Sala writes to say `a
two-eyed steak' is a red herring or bloater cut open-otherwise a `kippered'
herring.

c. Hamburg steak

Hamburg steak: a dish composed of flat balls of meat like fillets, made of
chopped lean beef, mixed with beaten eggs, chopped onions and seasoning,
and fried. Cf. Hamburger 2.

•1884 Boston Jrnl. 16 Feb. 2/2 We take a chicken and boil it. When it is
cold we cut it up as they do meat to make Hamburg steak.

•1892 Encycl. Cookery I. 117/2 Fried Hamburg Steak served with Russian
Sauce.

•1951 Good Housek. Home Encycl. 502/2 Hamburg steak, a fried or baked flat
cake of freshly minced seasoned steak, very popular in the United States.

3. attrib. and Comb., as

steak dinner

steak dinner,

steak-meat

- -meat,

pie

pie,

piece

piece,

pudding

pudding,

sandwich

sandwich; in names of implements for beating raw steak to make it tender,
as

steak-beater

steak-beater (Simmonds Dict. Trade 1858),

steak-crusher

- -crusher,

hammer

hammer,

steak-masher

- -masher (Knight Dict. Mech. 1875); in names of restaurants or other
eating-places serving mainly beefsteak, as

steak bar

steak bar,

house

house,

restaurant

restaurant;

steak and kidney

steak and kidney, used attrib. to designate a pie or pudding containing a
mixture of beefsteak and kidney; also ellipt.;

steak au poivre

steak au poivre , beefsteak flavoured with coarsely crushed peppercorns
before cooking; = pepper steak s.v. pepper sb. 7;

steak broiler

steak broiler (see quot.);

steak Diane

steak Diane , a dish consisting of thin slices of beefsteak fried with
seasonings, esp. Worcestershire sauce;

steak fish

steak fish, cod of a size suitable for cutting into steaks;

steak knife

steak knife,

a. a butcher's knife;

b. a serrated table knife;

steak tartare

steak tartare, a dish consisting of raw minced beefsteak mixed with egg and
seasonings;

steak-tongs

steak-tongs (see quot. 1858).

•1910 *Steak and kidney [see say v.1 B. 1 a].

•1930 H. Burke Cookery Bk. 103 Steak and kidney pudding... Put in the beef
and kidney (see Steak and Kidney Pie recipe).

•1960 I. Jefferies Dignity & Purity iv. 59 Cobb..spirited us off to a
nearby pub for steak and kidney pud.

•1965 L. Sands Something to Hide ix. 154 The sight of the steak-and-kidney
glistening succulently between them.

•1977 C. McCullough Thorn Birds ix. 206 The seven of them sat in the small
dining room eating steak-and-kidney pie.

•1953 Beard & Watt Paris Cuisine 132 *Steak au poivre.

•1976 F. Clifford Drummer in Dark iv. 17 Avocado vinaigrette and steak au
poivre... Choosing didn't take long.

•1971 Guardian 10 June 7/8 Fire damaged a kitchen, restaurant, and *steak
bar in..Hull yesterday.

•1858 Simmonds Dict. Trade, *Steak-broiler, a gridiron which catches the
gravy from the steak.

•1957 Gourmet Cookbk. II. 270 (heading) *Steak Diane.

•1974 W. Garner Big Enough Wreath viii. 103 The waiter [was] serving his
steak Diane.

•A. 1964 C. Whitney in D. Macarthur Reminiscences viii. 271 We were seated
and served a *steak dinner.

•1979 Tuscon (Arizona) Citizen 20 Sept. 8 c/1 About 2,000 steak dinners
will be served.

•1894 Outing (U.S.) XXIII. 404/1 *Steak fish are cod measuring twenty-two
inches or more in length.

•1934 Webster, *Steak hammer.

•1974 Habitat Catal. 8 1/3 Wooden steak hammer with a square toothed head
knocks coarser cuts of steak into succulent shape.

•1762 J. Boswell Jrnl. 15 Dec. (1950) 86, I went into the City to Dolly's
*Steak-house in Paternoster Row and swallowed my dinner by myself.

•1954 I. Levin Kiss before Dying iii. v. 178 They went to a steak house on
Fifty-second street.

•1977 B. Roueché Fago (1978) ii. iii. 101 There was a steakhouse restaurant
across the street.

•1895 Montgomery Ward Catal. Spring & Summer 447/2 *Steak knives,..12 inch
blade... No butcher shop would be without them after a trial;

•1951 Catal. of Exhibits, South Bank Exhib., Festival of Britain 59/2 Steak
knife, hollow-ground blade.

•1959 L. Smith One Hour xxv. 321 Even now, I see those steak knives cutting
through the meat.

•1979 N. Hynd False Flags v. 43 The barman gave Mason a steak knife. The
sandwich arrived.

•1901 Westm. Gaz. 27 Dec. 2/3 We bought..a pound of beef (it must be *steak
meat) for our black eyes.

•1723 J. Nott Cook's & Confectioner's Dict; sig. Kk2, To make a *Stake-Pye.

•1791 J. Woodforde Diary 8 Aug. (1927) III. 291 We did our best and gave
them some Beans and Bacon..Stake Pye and a Codlin Pudding.

•1930 H. Burke Cookery Bk. 103 Steak Pie. Follow the Steak and Kidney Pie
recipe, omitting the kidney.

•1981 M. Yorke Hand of Death xiv. 121 He went home to the steak pie Nancy
had prepared.

•1844 H. Stephens Bk. Farm II. 171 The plan of cutting the line
between..the rump and aitch-bone in the hind quarter, lays open the
*steak-pieces to better advantage.

•1747 Mrs. Glasse Cookery vi. 69 A *Stake-Pudding.

•1970 J. Updike Bech: a Book 199 We..made all those *steak restaurants in
the East Fifties light up like seraglios under bombardment.

•1941 B. Schulberg What makes Sammy Run? v. 85 Sammy had his mouth full
of..*steak sandwich?

•1979 J. van de Wetering Maine Massacre ix. 123 Would you like a sandwich?
A steak sandwich?

•1911 A. Filippini Internat. Cook Bk. 676 (heading) *Steaks, Tartare.

•1958 Observer 26 Jan. 5/6 A steak tartare.

•1969 M. Underwood Shadow Game ii. 22 Peacock was having Steak
Tartare...rather appropriate food for one who dwelt in a ruthless world of
sophisticated gangsterism. Raw meat!

•1845 E. Acton Mod. Cookery (ed. 3) vii. 161 If..it should be necessary,
for want of *steak-tongs, to use a fork, it should be passed through the
outer skin..of the steak.

•1858 Simmonds Dict. Trade, Steak-tongs, small tongs for turning chops or
steaks when broiling on a gridiron.

Phlip
Caer Frig
Barony of the Middle Marches