SC - OOP Gingered Butternut Squash Soup Recipe

Mon Oct 19 04:48:31 PDT 1998

> From: Linda Carey
> GINGERED BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
>
> Ok here is the gumby cooks question,
> What's out of period in the receipe?
> (This is a serious question)
> (As stated before I know very little of food history)
>
> William=-)

The recipe is known to be modern.  The recipe does not appear among the
recipes known to exist in the given time frame.  Ergo, the recipe is NOT a
historic artifact of the timeframe defined by the word "period".

If all of the ingredients are from "period," and the cooking techniques are
not out of line with what we know of historic practices, then the dish is at
best "perioid."  As long as you are not trying to achieve historic
authenticity, this is valid speculation, but you should differentiate
between fact and opinion.

In this particular case the butternut squash (C. moschata) is a variant
which is New World. It travels badly, and I have seen no evidence for it
being in Europe prior to 1600.  I am speculating that it is a modern
variant, but have found no solid evidence pro or con.

Previously, C. moschata was considered a New World genus, but there has been
a taxonomic change over the past 20 years which has introduced the question
of whether the species originates in Asia or the Americas.  In any case, no
variant of C. moschata is known to be in Europe before 1492.

Bear