Haggis and lamb lungs was Re: SC - More lamb

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Mon Oct 19 08:04:58 PDT 1998

Hi from AM
I'm sure that its not that the FDA "doesnt consider the lung fit for human
consumption", but that they're afraid of the really rather nastie cooties
one can get specifically from sheeps lungs. (can you say liver flukes?).
These guys encyst in the lung and a cursory visual exam may or may not get
them. You CAN find lungs in the country, but it takes some digging. I think
there's a butcher here in Seattle who specializes in...ahem....special
bits? I could of sworn I saw the list on the wall include "lights" next to
the Rocky Mountains Oysters, sweet breads, etc. Another possibility is to
buy the sheep yourself, ie totally skip the FDA. I'd be very careful WHO I
bought it from though...if a single sheep coughed when I was there, and the
pasture wasnt bone dry I doubt I'd eat the lungs (the fluke has a water
born stage...the sheep get it from eating grasses grown in watery pasture.
Migrates to the lung. Normally it encysts there for a bit, then hatches,
and crawls up the esophagus (hence the cough), gets swallowed and out in
the feces, back to the water. Rather tidy! probably more info than you
wanted, sorry!)

Anyway, the point is, the FDA isnt making some sort of value judgement, the
rule is there for a very good reason. You can probably get around it if you
want to, but be very careful!

- --Anne-Marie, who is amazed how often her microbiology degree (which
included a lot of parasitology) comes in handy on this list!