SC - RE: Tour Through Time Feast

LHG, JRG liontamr at ptd.net
Mon Oct 19 22:35:06 PDT 1998

In regards to the tour through time feast, I have decided to do this, in an
edited version, for our Barony Birthday feast in January. I think showing
the same dish throughout time is too much for a feast (four dishes of
chicken with mushrooms, anyone?), and is more suited to a cook's guild
meeting.

Here's my plan: To show the evolution of culinary expertise and public
taste from early celts, to the middleages and  the English Rennaisance.

Essentaillly we will start with a first course having a simple pottage with
pot herbs, coarser bread (flat or ale-leavened), green cheese with herbs,
etc. AND LITERATURE! That's the early section.

Next we go to early middle ages.  Course  2: Pies, Roasts served on skewers
with sauces of strong spices, Carved at table by servers who kneel to
serve,  Manchet Trenchers, etc. from  Curye on Inglische early bits and
other sources. AND LITERATURE!

Next we get to the parti-colored dishes, fantasy foods (sotelties),
elaborate presentations, lenten variations, Norman Influences including
Cider,   etc. from late middle ages, AND LITERATURE.

Lastly, the dainty  bits,   with the perfumed pie crusts, white sugar,
superfine flour,  cold gelatines and custards, flaky pastries etc (just in
time for dessert!). AND LITERATURE.

I decided the group needs to educate themselves about the food in front of
them, the service at the table, and the labor involved!  Obviously I'll
have to get hold of the servers and run them through a quick serving course
beforehand, so that each remove is served in an appropriate manner. But I
think It will be fun, with each remove consisting of 2-3 dishes. The trick
will be to get it out and served in a timely fashion. I don't think the
average diner realizes the amount of work that goes into a feast, nor
notices much about time periods, country origins,  or food fashions. To
them, it's food, lots and lots of food, and they hope they'll like it
without wondering too much about it. So Why in the world shouldn't we
educate them?  How can they appreciate  our art if we can't be bothered to
run them through an "art appreciation" course?

Just a thought

Aoife

_______