SC - (oops) (sorry) (re:tour through time feast)

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Oct 20 12:36:20 PDT 1998

At 2:11 PM -0700 10/15/98, Russell Gilman-Hunt wrote:

>What I meant was (two cups of coffee later)... would it be possible
>to be able to show the evolution of a dish through time, using some
>dish that was recognizable in each era.  Let me use a fictional example.
>"Fiskets in the eighth century were served plain, having been slowly
>roasted in the coals of a fire.  But in the fifteenth century, fiskets
>were roasted in a piece of clay with some additional foods;
>kabits, snappits and, since this was after the Crusades, poiquants
>(which are from the near East).
>
>Does this make the same point, without offence?  And is there an answer?
>
>conchobar

Sounds interesting, but I think may be difficult to do.  My inpression is
that when you trace a recipe from the 13th to the 15th c. the most obvious
change is in the recipe, not (as far as we can tell) the dish, going from
less detailed to more detailed: "roast thine fiskets with wine and good
spicery"  to "roast tender young fiskets on a spit and baste with wine
meddeled with ginger, cloves, and pepper".  Earlier than 13th c. and we
don't have recipes; later than 15th c. and in England , at least, there is
a very large change in the cuisine and you have completely different
recipes: "bake fiskets in a pie and put a great plenty of butter thereon".

Elizabeth/Betty Cook