SC - Baklava (was: tour in time)

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Oct 20 19:06:08 PDT 1998

Aldgytha of Ashwood wrote:

>Sorry I didn't always write the period names.  Just out of curiousity does
>anyone have actual documentation for Baklava?  The closest I have come is
>nut & meat pastries, or with inclusion of things like yogurt.

We haven't found it, and we have looked.  The closest thing we have found
is Khushkananaj: pastry (not the very flaky kind) with a filling of ground
almonds, rosewater, and sugar.  The recipe is in our _Miscellany_; the
original is from al-Bagdadi (13th c. Middle Eastern).

We haven't found hummus bi tahini, either.  Chickpeas are common
ingredients in period Islamic cooking, and sesame oil is certainly used,
but I don't remember seeing mention of sesame tahini, let alone the
combination.

Do your people have access to period Islamic cookbooks? If not, let me know
and I can provide references.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook