SC - Re: wooden cutting boards

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Thu Oct 22 08:41:10 PDT 1998

Hi all from Anne-Marie
Glenda sez:
> Mineral oils do not seem to have any anti-bacterial effect that I know
of.
> Olive oil, however, is a great disinfectant.

for the record, "disinfectant" means something very different than what the
oil does...olive oil (and any oil, other, than it appears, a thin coat of
mineral oil) inhibits the growth of aerobic bacteria by keeping the bugs
from breathing. This doesnt kill them!!! so its not a disinfectant, or
antibacterial.

The wood was antibacterial, in that no living bugs were recovered (ie they
were likely dead).
Olive oil would be bacteriostatic, ie keep them from growing, just like
freezing or not quite hot enough cooking.

If you oil it, and then conditions get right again (ie you forget to oil it
once), and its not a bacteriocidal wooden board, you get a cootie farm.

A minor distinction, but important! :)
- --AM, your friendly neighborhood microbiologist