SC - My Upcoming feast... menu ver 1.0

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Oct 23 14:24:10 PDT 1998

Brandu wrote:
>Note: while I was compiling this, I made the horrible discovery that I left
>the book I was using ("An Ordinance of Pottage" - Constance Hieatt) on the
>train last night...
>otherwise is there anyone who will provide me with the medieval text from
>the book for the recipes from the Hattes on down?.

I hope you can find another copy; but if you really need someone to type it
in for you, I could do it.  Let me know if you need it.

>Setup
>	bread,
>	butter and honey
>	Apples and Dates
>
>the first course
>	Souppes
>	Leche Lumbard
>	Lentyn Foyles
>	Chickyn yn Gretney
>	Sauce camelyn

What is the cameline sauce to be served with? The chicken has its own sauce
that it is cooked in.

>	Soteltie = Hattes ( meat filled dumplings shaped like hats and fried)
>
>the second course
>	Tartys of Flesche
>	Peasyn Wortes
>	Douse Desire
>	Sallet
>	Bastons

If you want a comparison recipe for this, look up "Rastons" in _Two
Fifteenth Century Cookery Books_; it is also in the Miscellany, original
and our worked-out version.  They are very similar and it may be easier to
make sense of the recipe if you also look at the other version.

>The third course
>	Bruet of Spayne
>	Frumente

The recipes say that frumenty should be served with venison or sometimes
mutton; and in fact the contrast of the strongly flavored meat with the
bland frumenty does make it a good side dish for that kind of roast.  You
don't have anything like that here to balance the frumenty.

>	Joutys

You are serving greens in almond milk in the first course, and the same
kinds of greens in meat broth here.  Do you want to serve both of these
recipes in the same feast?

>	Pears in Confyte
>
>"Dessert" soteltie (provided by another cook)

The interpretations of the recipes look reasonable.  We have done the
Lenten foyles; our version is in the Miscellany, if you want to compare.
One minor detail in the Leche Lombard (which doesn't change your worked-out
version):

The original has:
>	...Also thu may do with al maner
>	of leche lumbard that thu makyste, and yn lentyn tyme thu may
>	hav of sundez of stockfisch.
And you read it:
>	This you may also do with all manner
>	of leche lumbard that you make, and in Lent you may
>	use, on Sundays, brawn of stockfish.

On Sundays in Lent, you are allowed to eat meat--for one day of the week
you can forget the stockfish, so this looked odd.  So I looked it up in
Hieatt's glossary, and "sundez" of stockfish are "sounds" of stockfish:
"the swimming bladder of certain fish".

>Sauce camelyn
>the original:
>	Take whyte bred & draw hit in the maner if sauce gynger, with
>venyger; & put therto poudyr of canell, a grete dele, & poudyr of gynger &
>poudyr lumbard, and draw hit ayen, & yf thu wilt, draw a lytyll mustard
>therewith, & sesyn it up with sygure that hit be doucete, Salt hit & color
>hit with saffron.

>I need to find out what exactly is "poudyr lumbard"
>Does anyone have a clue what this is?

It would have been some standard spice powder, probably bought ready-mixed.
One way of trying to find out is to compare with parallel recipes which
call for pure spices, not for mixtures; here are two such recipes:

>From _Menagier de Paris_ (French, late 14th c.):
Note that at Tourney to make cameline they bray ginger, cinnamon and
saffron and half a nutmeg moistened with wine, then take it out of the
mortar; then have white bread crumbs, not toasted but moistened in cold
water and brayed in the mortar, moisten them with wine and strain them,
then boil all together and put in brown sugar last of all; and that is
winter cameline. And in summer they do the same but it is not boiled.

>From _Du Fait de Cuisine_ (French, 1420):
For the salmon and for the trout [this is just a reference to the author's
menu], the cameline: to give understanding to the sauce-maker who will make
it, take his white bread according to the quantity of it which he is making
and let him put it to roast on the grill, and let him have good claret wine
of the best which he can have in which he should put his bread to soak and
vinegar in good measure; and let him take his spices, that is cinnamon,
ginger, grains of paradise, cloves, a little pepper, mace, nutmeg and a
little sugar, and this is mixed with is bread and a little salt; and then
dress it as you will.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook