SC - RE:Piers Ploughman-what is. . .?

Shari Burnham pndarvis at execpc.com
Mon Oct 26 10:04:43 PST 1998

> *1362 Langl. P. Pl. A. vii. 272, I haue no salt Bacon, Ne no Cokeneyes, bi
> Crist Colopus to maken [v.r. colopis, -es, colhoppis; B. vi. 287 coloppes;
> C. ix. 309 colhoppes].

What are Cokeneyes?(You know, what it reminds me of? I was just told this
weekend, when having a discussion on chestnuts-edible vs non edible, that when
growing up, my other half peter used to participate in a game called cokettes,
where you take a chestnut with the outer shell-horse chestnuts have that green
spiky outer shell-and you wrap it with string or your scarf, and you beat the
other kids with it.  The winner is the one who can take the lickin' and keep on
tickin'-and still be standing after school.  Explains alot about middle class
British kids.)