SC - mead

Diana Skaggs upsxdls at okway.okstate.edu
Tue Oct 27 07:07:13 PST 1998

     Glo, the Mooneschadowe brewers got together last weekend for a mead
     making session.  I am a newbie to the group, so they didn't even let
     me stir, although I brought my own supplies.  The basic recipe went
     something like this:  Heat 4 cups of water with one quart of honey.
     Bring to 170F degrees on a thermometer.  Hold at that temperature and
     skim off any foam that forms.  When it stops foaming, pour into a
     gallon jar and fill almost full with additional water.  Let cool to
     room temperature.  Meanwhile, add one packet of red wine yeast to a
     bit of honey/water mixture (maybe 2 T honey to 1 C water).  After the
     mead is cool and the yeast proofed, add yeast to honey mixture.  Cover
     the jar lightly.  We used plastic grocery bags and rubber bands to
     save the expense of vapor locks.  In six months, we plan to gather
     again to siphon off the honey wine.  By this time next year, we'll be
     sampling.  Also see Stefen's Flor-whatever for other mead recipes.
     Leanna of Sparrowhaven