SC - Islinglass suggestion possibly OOP

grasse at mscd.edu grasse at mscd.edu
Tue Oct 27 07:56:36 PST 1998

 This topic was discussed a few weeks ago on rec.food.preserving.  The gist
of the conversation was that in mundane parlance it is called waterglass,
and that:

	1)  Waterglass may well be Sodium Silicate
	2)  Vaseline (or other solid fat) may also be used to seal out air and
preserve fresh eggs
		which then should be packed in bran so they do not touch each
other.
	3)  The eggs must be freshly laid ... store-bought is not fresh
enough...

There was also a recipe for Eggs preserved in lime water.  Don't know if
this would be on topic or not.  I have the web address for the archived
message for anyone who is interested in the mundane version.

Gwen-Cat
Caerthe
- -------------
Original Text
From: "Robyn Probert" <robyn.probert at lawpoint.com.au>, on 10/27/1998 5:51
AM:
At 11:59 27/10/1998 +1100, you wrote:
>Rowan,
>
>> Isinglass was also used to preserve eggs through winter - it formed a
>> coating on the outside preventing air from getting in.
>>
>Where did you find this snippet?  Might be an experiment to try for
>Festival next year ....

In a book many years ago. It may even be in Mrs Beetons - I can check...
Robyn Probert					Phone +61 2 9239 4999
Services Development Manager			Fax   +61 2 9221 8671
Customer Support Manager			15 Castlereagh St
Lawpoint Pty Limited				Sydney  NSW  AUSTRALIA