SC - meat days and fast days - MIXED?

Mary Morman memorman at oldcolo.com
Wed Oct 28 12:02:54 PST 1998

On Tue, 27 Oct 1998, LYN M PARKINSON wrote:
> Since there seems to be a negative reaction among a number of cooks in
> regard to accomodating vegetarians, can we just forget that word?  We
> have menus from period that list fast day type of food for church
> members.  'Ecclesiastical' is a bit much to type constantly, and 'fast
> food', while punny to most of us, may confuse newcomers.  What term might
> people like?  Church food?  Priest dish?  Perhaps this would make this
> preparation more 'palatable' to us, the Kitchen Stewards.
> Regards,
> Allison

I don't think most of us are adverse to accomodating vegetarians, but I do
think that most of us have had very negative experiences with vegetarians
and allergy sufferers who 1) don't contact us before the event 2) show up
in the kitchen at our busiest time, and 3) demand, rather than act
politely, what we have that they can eat (rather than what they can eat
from among the things we cook).  I'm happy to do my best to accomodate
anyone who contacts me ahead of time.  I'm happy to tell people what
ingredients are in what dish.  And I cook a variety of non-meat dishes.
But I don't have special food for those who can't eat the published dishes
and don't bother to ask about it until the food is going on the table.

I serve feasts, not special order fast-food.

Elaina
(the blight of vegetarians everywhere)