SC - RE:Piers Ploughman-what is. . .?

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Oct 26 13:00:19 PST 1998

Decker, Terry D. wrote:

> > What are Cokeneyes?
> >
> Coke is an archaic form of cook.  From other translations of this passage,
> Cokeneyes appears to be the noun, cook or cooks.
>
> Bear

Sounds reasonable, but when I did a search in the OED online, it referred me
to cockneys and to collops, which latter I ignored, since we've been sort of
beating this to death, and the former I more or less ignored because I
couldn't see the relevance. (You get this info, BTW, by using the quoted text
search criterion, rather than the "look up" function, which netted nothing
under cokeneyes.)

Anyway, when I checked under "cockney" I got the following:

> OED Entry Search
>

> cockney
>
> cockney ko(hook).kni, sb. (a.) Forms: 4-5 cokenay, cokeney, (also kok-), 5-6 coknay(e, 6 cokney, cocknaye, -naie,
> 6-7 cockeney, cockny(e, -nie, 7 kockney, 6- cockney. ME. coken-ey, -ay, app. = coken of cocks + ey, ay (OE.
> æ(asg)) egg; lit. `cocks' egg': see note after the adj.
>
> A. sb.
>
> 1. An egg: the egg of the common fowl, hen's egg; or perh. one of the small or misshapen eggs occasionally laid by
> fowls, still popularly called in some parts `cocks' eggs', in Ger. hahneneier. Obs.

I wouldn't have seen it this way except by accident, but this would appear to
support, in a way, the usage of "collops" in Piers Ploughman as bacon.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --
Phil & Susan Troy