SC - Intro and Bread Request

Thu Oct 29 08:04:27 PST 1998

> EEEK!  I have a copy! (I bought it for 50 cents(!) at the library book
> sale.  Tattered,with lots of crayon scribbles, alas!) You mean to tell me
> someone else has actually heard of this book?
>
> Before the rest of you ask, the title is:
> "A Treatise on Flour, Yeast, Fermentation and Baking together with Recipes
> for Bread and Cakes, fourth edition revised.  by Julius Emil Wihlfahrt,
> 1915.  Presented with the compliments of The Fleischmann Co.
> This is a promo piece for Fleischmann's yeast, originally published 1905.
> It was written for commercial bakers, & all the recipes are in commercial
> quantities.
>
> Cindy/Sincgiefu
> renfrow at skylands.net

Mine came from an estate whose library was sold to Ball's Books in Norman,
OK.  Cathy Ball generally gives me first refusal on cookbooks and I latched
onto it.  It is valuable to me, because it provides information about
producing dough in large quantities.

Of particular interest to historical cooks are the recipes and comments on
"brake" doughs.

I hope you get permission to Web the text.

Bear