SC - Vegetable Names

Melissa Martines mmartines at brighthorizons.com
Thu Oct 29 13:33:35 PST 1998

Help!  I am trying to redact the following recipe for compost:

Compost from Curye on Inglysch pp. 120-21

"Take rote of persel, of pasternak, of rafens, scrape hem and waishe hem
clene.  Take rapes and caboches, ypared and icone.  Take an erthen panne
with clene water and set it on the fire; cast alle thise perinne.  When they
both boiled cast therto peeres, and perboil hem well.  Take alle thise
thynges and lat it kele on a faire clothe.  Do therto salt; when it is cold,
do hit in a vessal; take vynegar and powdour and safroun and do therto, and
lat alle thise thynges lye there all night, other all day.  Take wyne greke
and hony, clarified together; take lumbards mustard and raisouns coraunce.
All hoole, and gryne powder of canel, powder douce and aneys hole and fennel
seed.  Take all thise thynges and cast togyder in a pot of erthe, and take
therof when thou wilt and serve it forth.

I have a redaction by a Master Iain, but he leaves out some of the
ingredients, and I also don't agree with him on all his interpretations of
what is what.

If anyone has any documentation or educated guesses about what the following
items are, please let me know.  Thanks in advance!!

Rote of persel
Rafens
Rapes
Caboches

Also, did we ever determine if raisin of courance were currents or raisins?

Morgan MacBride