SC - Vegetable Names

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Oct 29 19:10:31 PST 1998

In a message dated 10/29/98 5:19:41 PM Eastern Standard Time,
robyn.probert at lawpoint.com.au writes:

<< I still think they are dried currents :)

 Rowan >>

On what do you base this supposition? Word histroy does not, IMO, bear this
out.

If you are referring to the commercial 'Dried Currants' available in the
supermarket, I would gently point out that these are not currants but rather
are Zante currants. Zante currants are in fact a variety of grape grown in the
Mediterranean basin which are about the size of champagne grapes.

If you are referring to actual currants such as we grow in our backyards, then
I must disagree with you. There is absolutely no evidence that these were
grown on a commercial scale in the MA's. And I have never seen them included
in any lists of garden plants grown in the MA's.

Ras