SC - Vegetable Names

Karen tyrca at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 30 08:31:37 PST 1998

If you are referring to the commercial 'Dried Currants' available in the
supermarket, I would gently point out that these are not currants but
rather
are Zante currants. Zante currants are in fact a variety of grape grown
in the
Mediterranean basin which are about the size of champagne grapes.

If you are referring to actual currants such as we grow in our
backyards, then
I must disagree with you. There is absolutely no evidence that these
were
grown on a commercial scale in the MA's. And I have never seen them
included
in any lists of garden plants grown in the MA's.

Ras
<<<<<<<<

OK, I have watched this discussion for several months, and I am a
little confused.  Why is everyone so definite that no one dried
currants?  I have read several archaeological articles listing
currants as a food source.  They were not cultivated, but harvested
wild.  There are two kinds of currants that I know of, red and black.
The black ones are not as juicy, but a little more flavorful.  I have
several times picked currants with my grandmother, who made currant
jelly every fall, and never once planted her own bushes.

With all the recipes I have seen that reference currants, and having
picked my share of ripe currants in late summer, I remain confused as
to why these berries are refused as a possible food source??
Especially in places that didn't necessarily have their own grape
vines to make raisins from??  How far off-track am I?

Tyrca

==
Lady Tyrca Ivarsdottir
- -"Honesty is Everything"
AoA, OPN, ASTA, oleander
Barony of Elfsea (Life is Good in Elfsea!)
(all sorts of places in and around Ft. Worth, TX)
Kingdom of Ansteorra